Friday, January 15, 2021

Bulletin for 1-17-21

St. Andrew & St. John Episcopal Church
Southwest Harbor, Maine

 

Sunday, JANUARY 17, 2021
Diocese of Maine
The Rt. Rev. Thomas J. Brown
7:30 AM

 


To view the service after 8:00 AM, click on the link below:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-fGpm4_aFoi0mNvMiXhSwg

Worship Bulletin
 

Opening Hymn         Precious Lord, Take My Hand... Joel Pierce, organ

Welcome The Rt. Rev. Thomas James Brown, Bishop of Maine 

Opening Acclamation The Rev. Lael Sorensen
Blessed be our God. 
For ever and ever. Amen. 

Song of Praise Heather Sylvester, voice, and John Corrie, piano
Be Thou My Vision - 
The Hymnal 1982, #488 

The Collect of the Day Sam Allen Almighty God, whose Son our Savior Jesus Christ is the light of the world: Grant that your people, illumined by your Word and Sacraments, may shine with the radiance of Christ's glory, that he may be known, worshipped, and obeyed to the ends of the earth; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who with you and the Holy Spirit lives and reigns, one God, now and for ever. Amen. 

The First Lesson: 1 Samuel 3:1-10 (11-20) Andree Appel
Now the boy Samuel was ministering to the Lord under Eli. The word of the Lord was rare in those days; visions were not widespread. 

At that time Eli, whose eyesight had begun to grow dim so that he could not see, was lying down in his room; the lamp of God had not yet gone out, and Samuel was lying down in the temple of the Lord, where the ark of God was. Then the Lord called, "Samuel! Samuel!" and he said, "Here I am!" and ran to Eli, and said, "Here I am, for you called me." But he said, "I did not call; lie down again." So he went and lay down. The Lord called again, "Samuel!" Samuel got up and went to Eli, and said, "Here I am, for you called me." But he said, "I did not call, my son; lie down again." Now Samuel did not yet know the Lord, and the word of the Lord had not yet been revealed to him. The Lord called Samuel again, a third time. And he got up and went to Eli, and said, "Here I am, for you called me." Then Eli perceived that the Lord was calling the boy. Therefore Eli said to Samuel, "Go, lie down; and if he calls you, you shall say, 'Speak, Lord, for your servant is listening.'" So Samuel went and lay down in his place. 

Now the Lord came and stood there, calling as before, "Samuel! Samuel!" And Samuel said, "Speak, for your servant is listening." Then the Lord said to Samuel, "See, I am about to do something in Israel that will make both ears of anyone who hears of it tingle. On that day I will fulfill against Eli all that I have spoken concerning his house, from beginning to end. For I have told him that I am about to punish his house forever, for the iniquity that he knew, because his sons were blaspheming God, and he did not restrain them. Therefore I swear to the house of Eli that the iniquity of Eli's house shall not be expiated by sacrifice or offering forever." 

Samuel lay there until morning; then he opened the doors of the house of the Lord. Samuel was afraid to tell the vision to Eli. But Eli called Samuel and said, "Samuel, my son." He said, "Here I am." Eli said, "What was it that he told you? Do not hide it from me. May God do so to you and more also, if you hide anything from me of all that he told you." So Samuel told him everything and hid nothing from him. Then he said, "It is the Lord; let him do what seems good to him." 

As Samuel grew up, the Lord was with him and let none of his words fall to the ground. And all Israel from Dan to Beer-sheba knew that Samuel was a trustworthy prophet of the Lord.

Psalm 139:1-5, 12-17 The Rev. Mary Lee Wile & Richard Wile
Domine, probasti 

1   Lord, you have searched me out and known me; * 
           you know my sitting down and my rising up; 
           you discern my thoughts from afar. 
2   You trace my journeys and my resting-places * 
           and are acquainted with all my ways. 
3   Indeed, there is not a word on my lips, * 
           but you, O Lord, know it altogether. 
4   You press upon me behind and before * 
           and lay your hand upon me. 
5   Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; * 
           it is so high that I cannot attain to it. 
12   For you yourself created my inmost parts; * 
           you knit me together in my mother's womb. 
13   I will thank you because I am marvelously made; * 
           your works are wonderful, and I know it well. 
14   My body was not hidden from you, * 
           while I was being made in secret and woven in the depths of the earth. 
15   Your eyes beheld my limbs, yet unfinished in the womb; 
           all of them were written in your book; * 
           they were fashioned day by day, when as yet there was none of them. 
16   How deep I find your thoughts, O God! * 
           how great is the sum of them! 
17   If I were to count them, they would be more in number than the sand; *
            to count them all, my life span would need to be like yours.

The Gospel: John 1:43-51 The Rev. Cn. Lisa Fry
The Holy Gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ, according to John. 
Glory to you, Lord Christ 
Jesus decided to go to Galilee. He found Philip and said to him, "Follow me." Now Philip was from Bethsaida, the city of Andrew and Peter. Philip found Nathanael and said to him, "We have found him about whom Moses in the law and also the prophets wrote, Jesus son of Joseph from Nazareth." Nathanael said to him, "Can anything good come out of Nazareth?" Philip said to him, "Come and see." When Jesus saw Nathanael coming toward him, he said of him, "Here is truly an Israelite in whom there is no deceit!" Nathanael asked him, "Where did you get to know me?" Jesus answered, "I saw you under the fig tree before Philip called you." Nathanael replied, "Rabbi, you are the Son of God! You are the King of Israel!" Jesus answered, "Do you believe because I told you that I saw you under the fig tree? You will see greater things than these." And he said to him, "Very truly, I tell you, you will see heaven opened and the angels of God ascending and descending upon the Son of Man." 
The Gospel of the Lord 
Praise to you, Lord Christ 

The Sermon The Rt. Rev. Thomas James Brown, Bishop of Maine

An Affirmation of Faith Based on the Writings of Dr. King
The Rev. Lael Sorensen 
I refuse to believe that we are unable to influence the events which surround us. I refuse to believe that we are so bound to racism and war, that peace, brotherhood and sisterhood are not possible. 
I believe there is an urgent need for people to overcome oppression and violence, without resorting to violence and oppression. I believe that we need to discover a way to live together in peace, a way which rejects revenge, aggression and retaliation. The foundation of this way is love. I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word in reality. I believe that right temporarily defeated is stronger than evil triumphant. I believe that peoples everywhere can have three meals a day for their bodies, education and culture for their minds, and dignity, equality and freedom for their spirits. I believe that what self-centered people have torn down, other-centered people can build up. By the goodness of God at work within people, I believe that brokenness can be healed. "And the lion and the lamb shall lie down together, and everyone will sit under their own vine and fig tree, and none shall be afraid." 
 
A Litany of Celebration
The Very Rev. Dr. Benjamin Shambaugh From the United Presbyterian Church Bruno Mbongo
 
Martin King had a dream. The ideals of justice and freedom and the belief that all are created equal in the eyes of God are noble principles. But they are meaningless unless they become the personal possession of each one of us. 
For Zion's sake I will not keep silent. I will struggle with myself. I will not rest until the dream of justice and freedom becomes my personal dream. I must realize that I am not an innocent bystander. I can help realize the dream by my action, or delay it by inaction. 
Martin's dream of a day when people from all races and nations, even the offsprings of slaves and former slave owners, can sit at a table as brothers and sisters and find ways of transforming their differences into assets. That was Martin's dream. What is your dream? 
My dream is that one day soon I will find a way to stop just celebrating the dream and start living it. It must become a part of my daily life; or nothing will change. 
The dream is not about an ideal world; it is about the real world. Martin King's poetic refrain, "I Have a Dream," is a call for us to remember the real world where injustice abounds. 
When I am in the shelter of my home I must remember the homeless. When I eat, I must remember the hungry. When I feel secure I must remember the insecure. When I see injustice I must remember that it will not stop unless I stop it. 
We pray for those on our parish prayer lists and in our hearts. (Viewers, add your own prayers here!) 
I have a dream! 
I also have a dream. I have a dream that the Holy Spirit will arouse in me that very flame of righteousness that caused Martin King to become a living sacrifice for the freedom and liberation of all of God's Children. Then I will be able to resist injustice everywhere I see it, even within myself. 

The Confession and Absolution The Rev. Susan Taylor and family 
From
Enriching our Worship 
Let us confess our sins to God 
God of all mercy, we confess that we have sinned against you, opposing your will in our lives. We have denied your goodness in each other, in ourselves, and in the world you have created. We repent of the evil that enslaves us, the evil we have done, and the evil done on our behalf. Forgive, restore, and strengthen us through our Savior Jesus Christ, that we may abide in your love and serve only your will. Amen.

Almighty God, have mercy on you, forgive you all your sins through our Lord Jesus Christ, strengthen you in all goodness, and by the power of the Holy Spirit keep you in eternal life. Amen

The Peace The Rev. Susan Taylor and family 
The peace of the Lord be always with you 
And also with you 

The Great Thanksgiving The Rev. John Balicki 
The Lord be with you. Eucharistic Prayer A
People And also with you. Book of Common Prayer, p. 361
Celebrant Lift up your hearts. 
People We lift them to the Lord. 
Celebrant Let us give thanks to the Lord our God. 
People It is right to give him thanks and praise. 
It is right, and a good and joyful thing, always and every where to give thanks to you, Almighty God, Creator of heaven and earth. Because in Jesus Christ our Lord you have received us as your sons and daughters, made us citizens of your kingdom, and given us the Holy Spirit to guide us into all truth. 

Therefore we praise you, joining our voices with Angels and Archangels and with all the company of heaven, who for ever sing this hymn to proclaim the glory of your Name: 
Holy, holy, holy Lord, God of power and might, 
heaven and earth are full of your glory. 
Hosanna in the highest. 
Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord. 
Hosanna in the highest. 

Holy and gracious God: In your infinite love you made us for yourself; and, when we had fallen into sin and become subject to evil and death, you, in your mercy, sent Jesus Christ, your only and eternal Son, to share our human nature, to live and die as one of us, to reconcile us to you, the God and Maker of all. 
He stretched out his arms upon the cross, and offered himself, in obedience to your will, a perfect sacrifice for the whole world. 
On the night he was handed over to suffering and death, our Savior Jesus Christ took bread; and when he had given thanks to you, he broke it, and gave it to his disciples, and said, "Take, eat: This is my Body, which is given for you. Do this for the remembrance of me." 
After supper Jesus took the cup of wine; and when he had given thanks, he gave it to them, and said, "Drink this, all of you: This is my Blood of the new Covenant, which is shed for you and for many for the forgiveness of sins. Whenever you drink it, do this for the remembrance of me." 

Therefore we proclaim the mystery of faith: 
Christ has died. Christ is risen. Christ will come again. 

We celebrate the memorial of our redemption, O God, in this sacrifice of praise and thanksgiving. Recalling Christ's death, resurrection, and ascension, we offer you these gifts. 
Sanctify them by your Holy Spirit to be for your people the Body and Blood of your Son, the holy food and drink of new and unending life in him. Sanctify us also that we may faithfully receive this holy Sacrament, and serve you in unity, constancy, and peace; and at the last day bring us with all your saints into the joy of your eternal kingdom. 
All this we ask through your Son Jesus Christ. By Christ, and with Christ, and in Christ, in the unity of the Holy Spirit, all honor and glory is yours, Almighty God, now and for ever. AMEN

The Lord's Prayer Heather Sylvester and family
As our Savior Christ has taught us,we now pray, 
Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your Name, 
your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as in heaven. 
Give us today our daily bread. 
Forgive us our sins as we forgive those who sin against us. 
Save us from the time of trial, and deliver us from evil. 
For the kingdom, the power, and the glory are yours, 
now and for ever. Amen.
 

The Breaking of the Bread The Rev. John Balicki 
Alleluia. Christ our Passover is sacrificed for us; 
Therefore let us keep the feast. Alleluia. 

A Prayer for Spiritual Communion The Rev. Cn. Nancy Moore
F
rom St. Augustine's Prayer Book 
In union, Blessed Jesus, with the faithful gathered at every altar of Your Church where Your blessed body and blood are offered, I long to offer You praise and thanksgiving. I believe that You are truly present in the Holy Sacrament. And since I cannot at this time receive communion, I pray You to come into my heart, my soul, and my mind. I unite myself to You, and embrace You with all the affections of my soul. Let nothing separate me from You; let me serve You in this life until, by Your grace, I join You in Your reign of unending peace. Amen.

Communion music Pamela Kinsey, flute He shall feed his flock 

Prayer of Thanks and Mission Liz McMullan
Eternal God, heavenly Father, you have graciously accepted us as living members of your Son our Savior Jesus Christ, and you have fed us with spiritual food  in the Sacrament of his Body and Blood, Send us now into the world in peace, and grant us strength and courage to love and serve you with gladness and singleness of heart; through Christ our Lord. Amen. 

The Blessing The Rt. Rev. Thomas James Brown, Bishop of Maine 

Dismissal The Ven. Aaron Perkins
Go in peace to love and serve the Lord. 
Thanks be to God. 

Postlude Randy Day, organ Oh, For a Thousand Tongues


Participants from across the Episcopal Diocese of Maine: 
The Rt. Rev. Thomas James Brown, Bishop of Maine 
Sam Allen, Senior Warden, The Cathedral Church of St. Luke, Portland Andree Appel, Postulant to the Diaconate, St. Paul's Episcopal Church, Brunswick The Rev. John Balicki, Rector, St. Mark's Episcopal Church, Waterville The Rev. Cn. Lisa Fry, Rector, St. Thomas' Episcopal Church, Camden 
Bruno Mbongo, The Cathedral Church of St. Luke, Portland and St. Elizabeth's Jubilee Center, Portland 
Liz McMullan, Vestry, The Parish of St. Mary and St. Jude, Northeast Harbor; The Rev. Cn. Nancy Moore, Rector, Christ Church Norway and Pastor, Trinity Lutheran, So. Paris 
The Ven. Aaron Perkins, Archdeacon, The Episcopal Diocese of Maine The Very Rev. Dr. Benjamin Shambaugh, Dean, The Cathedral Church of St. Luke, Portland The Rev. Lael Sorensen, Rector, St. Peter's Episcopal Church, Rockland Heather Sylvester, Postulant, St. Bartholomew's Episcopal Church, Yarmouth, and family The Rev. Susan Taylor, Vicar, St. Andrew's Episcopal Church, Winthrop, and family Richard Wile and The Rev. Mary Lee Wile, Deacon, St. Paul's Episcsopal Church, Brunswick 
Musicians: 
John Corrie, choir director and organist, St. Bartholomew's Episcopal Church, Yarmouth Randy Day, Music Ministry Director, St. Paul's Episcsopal Church, Brunswick Pamela Kinsey, Music Ministry Team Leader, St. Paul's Episcopal Church, Fort Fairfield (And the Aroostook Episcopal Cluster) 
Joel Pierce, Director of Music, St. Alban's Episcopal Church, Cape Elizabeth Heather Sylvester, Postulant, St. Bartholomew's Episcopal Church, Yarmouth 
Production Team: 
Worship Designer & Project Manager: Katie Clark, Director of Communications, Episcopal Diocese of Maine 
Video Editor: Mark Spahr, Consultant for Social Media, Episcopal Diocese of Maine All music licensed for streaming through OneLicense #A-722473
 
 

Facebook
Twitter
Link
Website
Copyright © 2021 St. Andrew & St. John Episcopal Church, All rights reserved.
You are receiving this email because you are a member or friend of St. Andrew & St. John Episcopal Church.

Our mailing address is:
St. Andrew & St. John Episcopal Church
315 Main Street
PO Box 767
Southwest Harbor, ME 04679

Add us to your address book


Want to change how you receive these emails?
You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp