AUGUST 5, 2008
ST. ANDREW & ST. JOHN EPISCOPAL CHURCH
EVENTS & NEWS
Sunday Services: During the summer, Holy Eucharist will be celebrated at 8:00 a.m. at St. Andrew by-the-Lake in Seal Cove and 10:00 a.m. at St. John the Divine in Southwest Harbor.
Lectionary readings for August 10th: Psalm 105:1-6, 16-22, 45b; Genesis 37:1-4, 12-28; Romans 10:5-15; Matthew 14:22-33.
Wednesday, August 6, Transfiguration Day – MDI Episcopalians will join together for an 8:00 a.m. Eucharist on Beech Cliff, a short walk up from Beech Mountain parking lot where we will gather promptly at 7:45 a.m. Car pool if possible. Call Joan Bromage at 244-3227 with any questions.
Public Meeting on Maine's "Supermax" Prison: Lance Tapley, who is a Bar Harbor native, will be giving a talk titled "Torture in Maine's and the Nation's Super Max Prisons" at St John’s Church on Friday, August 8th at 7:00 p.m. The talk, which will be followed by time for questions and discussion, is free and open to the public. Currently a resident of Augusta, Lance Tapley is an award winning investigative and political journalist. George Swanson and Susan Buell have organized the presentation.
Vacation Bible School at St John’s Episcopal Church: August 11-15. Begins at 9:00 a.m., with opening, song & prayer….closing begins at noon, all dismissed by 12:15. Extended Day: afternoon field trips also available…by arrangement, with parent permission. All activities are FREE of charge – for everyone (Thanks to our volunteers and generous sponsors). ALL are Welcome!!! All children pre-school up to teens–and adults, also.
Soup & Sandwich Luncheon: Saturday, August 16, 11:30-1:30, in conjunction with the Island Arts Association Craft Fair on Pemetic Green. Please call Peggy Engel at 244-5114 if you can help her--make soup, setup, make sandwiches, etc. This will be another great time to welcome people to our church!
Summer Tea and Sing-along for all island seniors & disabled: The second Tea will be held at the Claremont Hotel in Southwest Harbor on Wednesday, August 13th at 2:00 pm. We will be gathering in the Clark Point Room for this Tea and Kaveh Haghkerdar will entertain on his magical keyboard. The Clark Point Room is located in the building on the right as you enter the Claremont Hotel property. Please call Island Connections at 288-4457 if you would like to join this fun event.
Celebration of the restoration of St. Mary’s by-the-Sea: August 14 at 6:00 p.m. – Concert of vocal and instrumental music, featuring guest musicians from MDI; August 17 at 10:00 a.m. – service; August 14-17 (11:00-4:00) – Festival of Flowers.
Mount Desert Island Organ/Piano Series
· Friday, August 8th, 12:15-1:00, Ray Cornils from First Parish Church in Brunswick, will present a concert at St. Saviour’s Parish in Bar Harbor.
· Friday, August 15th, 12:15-1:00, Ann Sears, Professor of Music at Wheaton College, will perform on the piano at St. Saviour’s Parish.
· Wednesday evening, August 20th, at 7:00, Kevin Birch, Director of Music at St. John's Catholic Church in Bangor, will present an illustrated lecture on "Hook Organs in the State of Maine", followed by a short recital on Greta, the 1885 Hook & Hasting Tracker organ at St. John Episcopal Church in Southwest Harbor. Admission by donation.
· Thursday evening, August 21st, again at 7:00, Douglas Beck, Organist-Choirmaster, St. Paul’s Episcopal Church, Old Town, Alexandria, VA, returns to St. John Episcopal Church for a full recital. Admission by donation.
· Friday, August 22nd, 12:15-1:00, the festival will conclude at St. Saviour's Parish, in Bar Harbor, with Music Director Julia Morris-Myers performing on their Visser-Rowland organ. This will be the fourth, and concluding recital of St. Saviour’s Friday noon recital series.
Bishop Lane to visit: On Sunday, August 24th, Bishop Stephen Lane will preside and preach at St. Andrew at 8:00 a.m. and at St. John at 10:00.
Goodbye Chilton, Hello Steve: Saturday, September 6th at the Holiday Inn in Waterville, 1:30-4:30 – light buffet/open house and program; 5:00 p.m. – Eucharist at St. Mark’s. Friday, September 12, 7:00 p.m. – farewell banquet at Park Hotel in Portland. Reservations should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org or (207) 882-7184.
Thanks to Chloe Hatcher and Phil Fox, who delighted us once again on July 30th with the portrayal of Melissa and Andrew in Love Letters. They raised almost $1,300 for St. John’s.
Northeast Harbor Fire: Anne Wetzel delivered your very generous donations to Neighborhood House for those who were burned out during the fire last week. She met two girls who had lost everything. They were so thankful for all that has been given. The makeup seemed to be a highlight! Neighborhood House now has many more donations than they need and have asked "Please no more." They thanked all for their outstanding generosity.
Farmer’s Market: open each Friday from 9:00-1:00 in St. John’s parking lot.
No Frills Oil is offering all St. Andrew & St. John parishioners the opportunity to contract their oil price for next heating season at 8¢ off the going price the day you call them at 422-3581 to make pre-buy arrangements. You need to tell them you are a parishioner at St. Andrew & St. John’s to take advantage of this opportunity. They will also explain the other programs available to everyone.
Church office hours: Monday, Tuesday and Thursday – 8:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.