Thursday, April 9, 2020

Maundy Thursday info

Maundy Thursday/9 April 2020
 
 
 
Dear Friends in Christ,
 
Thank you for joining us for prayer and worship on this Maundy Thursday. I invite you to join your fellow Mount Desert Island Episcopalians, and others, for simple worship centered in our homes this evening. We are blessed to worship together - even while apart. "Blest be the tie that binds, our hearts in Christian love."
 
As we gather this evening we remember in our prayers our Jewish friends and neighbors who are in the midst of Passover, their most sacred observance, which is celebrated in homes around a family table. We join with them, and Christians around the world, in gathering in homes, at family tables, to recall God's deliverance from bondage to all that is unjust in the world.
 
The following service is offered as a suggestion for you to use as may be best for you and your household. It consists of an invitation to A Day of Servanthood, as well as an Agapé Meal.
 
The Rev. Canon Michael Ambler, from our Diocesan staff, has offered a sermon for Maundy Thursday, which you may view here: Canon Ambler's Sermon.
 
As we continue to walk through Holy Week in the midst of this pandemic, let us particularly remember all those who are sick and hospitalized, the dying and the dead, those who grieve and mourn, and those most courageous health care community workers: first-responders, physicians, nurses, lab technicians, hospital aides and staff, scientists, researchers, and all those who compassionately care for those in need. God bless them and keep them in safety.
 
I want to express my personal gratitude to my lay and clergy colleagues on Mount Desert Island. Your commitment to the worship and witness of God's Church is an inspiration and a sign of the vitality of our shared mission in Christ's Name. Thank you.
 
God bless you and keep you in God's loving embrace.
 
In the love of Christ, the Lord of Hope,
Steve
 
My Personal Contact Information:
Email: stephenmuncie@mac.com
Cell: 207-406-0333
 
______________________________________________________________________
 
Maundy Thursday
 
A Day of Servanthood
and
Agapé Meal
 
 
Maundy Thursday is a day when we normally commemorate the institution of the Eucharist, remember Jesus the Servant washing the feet of the disciples, and then strip the altar to prepare for Good Friday. To adapt this day's important remembrances for home use, this order of worship is within the context of an Agapé Meal, and, if you have made a sacred space in your home, concludes with the "stripping" of our Home Altar.
 
A Day of Servanthood
 
As a way to honor Jesus the Servant, you are invited to choose an act of service and outreach this day. Even though we are confined to our homes, we may reach out to others - and care for ourselves as well as our neighbors - and serve in various ways:
 
  • Call or text someone who lives alone
  • FaceTime with family and friends
  • Make an online donation to an organization doing important work
  • Remember our local Food Pantries
  • Commit to pray for all doctors, nurses, scientists, and health care workers
  • Go to the store for someone
  • Express gratitude to store employees and all others who are working on our behalf
  • Support local businesses - and shop local
  • Commit to using all your social media in positive, encouraging ways
  • Practice patience and compassion with others - and yourself
  • Reach out for help if you feel anxious or depressed
  • Stay home and continue to protect the most vulnerable
 
The Agapé Meal
 
Long before there was a formalized ritual called "The Holy Eucharist," followers of Jesus would meet in private homes to hear stories of Jesus' earthly ministry, his death, and resurrection, followed by a simple meal including bread and wine, which they shared as Jesus commanded: "Do this in remembrance of me." This is sometimes referred to as an "Agapé Meal" because God's love (Greek: αγάπη) brought them together and bound them into one Body. This year on Maundy Thursday we are invited to reclaim that ancient practice of a simple meal in the home, knowing that even if we live alone, we are joining with other church members across Mount Desert Island - and throughout the world - as we share this meal.
 
This meal is not a feast. The food should be meatless, simple, and sparse. Appropriate foods for this meal might include: a vegetarian soup, cheese, olives, dried fruit (especially dates), bread (especially unleavened bread such as pita), and wine or non-alcoholic grape juice—or whatever simple fare is safely and readily available to you. You may wish to present the food in a particularly intentional way, perhaps using a special dish or utensils. Feel free to adapt this service for your own use.
 
An Agapé for Maundy Thursday
 
 
A Ritual Handwashing
 
Before the meal each person engages in a handwashing ritual. The act of washing hands is an ancient holy act of preparation and purification, but in addition, in this time of pandemic, washing our own hands is a very real way of serving others. By washing our hands, we can all reduce the chance of infection and slow the spread of the virus, and in this way we express care and concern for everyone whose life is linked with ours, especially the most vulnerable. Perform this act slowly and with intention—consider using a special basin you have prepared, or rinse your hands using water poured out of a special pitcher or cup. As you wash, you are invited to speak slowly and with intention, the netilat yadayim, which Jews of the Orthodox tradition say every time they wash their hands:
 
Blessed are you, O Lord, our God,
King of the Universe,
who has sanctified us with your commandments,
and has commanded us concerning the washing of hands.
 
The Blessings
 
All gather around the table, standing as able.
 
After a time of silent prayer, the following blessings are said
 
Over Wine or Non-Alcoholic Alternative
Blessed are you, O Lord our God, Ruler of the universe. You create the fruit of the vine; and you refresh us with the cup of salvation in the Blood of your Son Jesus Christ. May the time come quickly when we can share that cup again, even as you are with us now in our very thirst for you. Glory to you for ever and ever. Amen.
 
Over Bread
Blessed are you, O Lord our God, Ruler of the universe. You bring forth bread from the earth; and you have fed us on our way with the bread of life in the Body of your Son Jesus Christ. Let us be fed again soon with that bread of life. And as grain scattered upon the earth is gathered into one loaf, so gather your Church in every place into the kingdom of your Son. To you be glory and power for ever and ever. Amen.
 
Over the Other Foods
Blessed are you, O Lord our God, Ruler of the universe. You have blessed the earth to bring forth food to satisfy our hunger. Let this food strengthen us in the fast that is before us, that following our Savior in the way of the cross, we may come to the joy of his resurrection. For yours is the kingdom and the power and the glory, now and for ever. Amen.
 
The Meal
 
The meal is now eaten.
 
A Foot-washing ceremony may or may not be enacted, depending on circumstances. In homes where a Foot-washing ceremony is desired, John 13:1-15 is read at this time. People then move from the table to wash each other's feet, using a basin and a towel.
 
At the Foot-washing, the following hymns may be sung or said
 
Refrain: Jesu, Jesu, fill us with your love, show us how to serve the neighbors we have from you.
 
Kneels at the feet of his friends, silently washes their feet, Master who acts as a slave to them. Refrain
 
Neighbors are rich and poor, neighbors are black and white, neighbors are nearby and far away. Refrain
 
These are the ones we should serve, these are the ones we should love. All are neighbors to us and you. Refrain
 
Loving puts us on our knees, serving as though we were slaves; this is the way we should live with you.  Refrain
 
After the Foot-washing, people are to rewash their hands. The Prayers then follow.
 
The Prayers
 
Eternal God, in the sharing of a meal your son established a new community of love; and in the washing of feet he showed us the dignity of service; hear us as we pray in his sacred Name.
 
For the Church: that we may live like Jesus and offer our lives in loving service; God of love and mercy…  Save your people.
 
For unity among Christians: that we may support one another in bringing forth the reign of God; God of love and mercy…  Save your people.
 
For Michael, our Presiding Bishop; Thomas, our Bishop; for all bishops, priests, and deacons; and for all the baptized: that they may lead the church in humble service of the poor, the neglected, and the broken-hearted; God of love and mercy…  Save your people.
 
For our Jewish sisters and brothers: that their celebration of Passover may be a blessing to all; God of love and mercy…  Save your people.
 
For the gift of peace on earth: that God will bring an end to war, violence, and bloodshed; God of love and mercy…  Save your people.
 
For those to whom we are committed, particularly our spouses, partners, families, and friends: that we may be faithful to them and support them with our care; God of love and mercy… Save your people.
 
For all who have been abandoned, betrayed, abused, or tortured: that God will heal their wounds; God of love and mercy…  Save your people.
 
For the sick, the suffering, and the dying: that God will bring them healing, comfort, and hope; God of love and mercy…  Save your people.
 
I invite you to offer your own prayers for those in any need or trouble…..(silence – names may be offered)…; God of love and mercy…  Save your people.
 
For all who have died, remembering especially all victims of the pandemic; and for all who grieve and mourn….. (silence – names may be offered); God of love and mercy… Save your people.
 
For all those the Church has injured or offended; and for those we find it hardest to love: that God will forgive our hardened hearts and open us to a deeper compassion; God of love and mercy…  Save your people.
 
For all who are separated from loved ones this night; for our sisters and brothers in neighboring congregations, and for all those working to offer healing and hope to others in this present moment; God of love and mercy…  Save your people.
 
At the end of the Prayers, the seventeenth chapter of the gospel of John is read.
 
Jesus looked up to heaven and said, "Father, the hour has come; glorify your Son so that the Son may glorify you, since you have given him authority over all people, to give eternal life to all whom you have given him. And this is eternal life, that they may know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom you have sent. I glorified you on earth by finishing the work that you gave me to do. So now, Father, glorify me in your own presence with the glory that I had in your presence before the world existed.
 
"I have made your name known to those whom you gave me from the world. They were yours, and you gave them to me, and they have kept your word. Now they know that everything you have given me is from you; for the words that you gave to me I have given to them, and they have received them and know in truth that I came from you; and they have believed that you sent me. I am asking on their behalf; I am not asking on behalf of the world, but on behalf of those whom you gave me, because they are yours. All mine are yours, and yours are mine; and I have been glorified in them. And now I am no longer in the world, but they are in the world, and I am coming to you. Holy Father, protect them in your name that you have given me, so that they may be one, as we are one. 
 
While I was with them, I protected them in your name that you have given me. I guarded them, and not one of them was lost except the one destined to be lost, so that the scripture might be fulfilled. But now I am coming to you, and I speak these things in the world so that they may have my joy made complete in themselves. I have given them your word, and the world has hated them because they do not belong to the world, just as I do not belong to the world. I am not asking you to take them out of the world, but I ask you to protect them from the evil one. They do not belong to the world, just as I do not belong to the world. Sanctify them in the truth; your word is truth. As you have sent me into the world, so I have sent them into the world. And for their sakes I sanctify myself, so that they also may be sanctified in truth.
 
"I ask not only on behalf of these, but also on behalf of those who will believe in me through their word, that they may all be one. As you, Father, are in me and I am in you, may they also be in us, so that the world may believe that you have sent me. The glory that you have given me I have given them, so that they may be one, as we are one, I in them and you in me, that they may become completely one, so that the world may know that you have sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me. Father, I desire that those also, whom you have given me, may be with me where I am, to see my glory, which you have given me because you loved me before the foundation of the world.
 
"Righteous Father, the world does not know you, but I know you; and these know that you have sent me. I made your name known to them, and I will make it known, so that the love with which you have loved me may be in them, and I in them."
 
A simple hymn may be sung.
 
The following psalm is then said. If there is more than one voice, it is said in unison.
 
Psalm 63:1-8                                          
O God, you are my God; eagerly I seek you; my soul thirsts for you, my flesh faints for you,
as in a barren and dry land where there is no water.
Therefore I have gazed upon you in your holy place; that I might behold your power and your glory.
For your loving-kindness is better than life itself; my lips shall give you praise.
So will I bless you as long as I live and lift up my hands in your Name.
My soul is content, as with marrow and fatness, and my mouth praises you with joyful lips.
When I remember you upon my bed, and meditate on you in the night watches.
For you have been my helper, and under the shadow of your wings I will rejoice.
My soul clings to you, your right hand holds me fast.
 
The Final Prayers
O God of the crucified and risen One, from whom no trial or trouble can separate us: you feed us with your Word and soothe us with your Spirit, closer to us than breath itself.
            Make us glad this night for the life of your servant Jesus;
            Make us servants of all for the sake of Jesus;
            who for our sake gave his life for the salvation of all.
In the Name of Jesus, your Son, our Lord.
Amen.
 
The Lord's Prayer is said.
 
At this time the Home Altar or Sacred Space in the home is also cleared. Psalm 22 may be read or silence kept.
 
"God is Love and where true Love is, God's own Self is there."
__________________________________________________________
 
"We are a spiritual home for all generations,
engaged in the mission of God's love for the world."
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Episcopal Parish of St. Mary and St. Jude | P. O. Box 105, Northeast Harbor, ME 04662
Unsubscribe saints315@myfairpoint.net
Update Profile | About Constant Contact
Sent by ssmaryjudemdi@gmail.com in collaboration with
 
Trusted Email from Constant Contact - Try it FREE today.
Try email marketing for free today!
 
 
 
 
 
Facebook
Twitter
Link
Website
Copyright © 2020 St. Andrew & St. John Episcopal Church, All rights reserved.
You are receiving this email because you are a member or friend of St. Andrew & St. John Episcopal Church.

Our mailing address is:
St. Andrew & St. John Episcopal Church
315 Main Street
PO Box 767
Southwest Harbor, ME 04679

Add us to your address book


Want to change how you receive these emails?
You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp