St. John the Divine is temporarily closed. If you need help or need to talk with someone, please call Gen MacKenzie, 244-7313 Ted Fletcher, 266-8415
From the Wardens: At the July 19th Vestry Meeting, Linda Lewis informed the Vestry that she would be relocating to Portland, Maine in October 2020. Linda will be resigning from the Profile/ Search Committee. However, she will remain on the Vestry until her term expires June 2021. The Vestry thanks Linda for serving on the Profile/Search Committee and for her contributions to the committee.
Rita Redfield was elected to serve on the Profile/Search Committee. The Vestry thanks Rita for agreeing to serve on this very important committee.
Your Wardens scheduled two small group discussions which are limited to 12 people plus the Wardens. Reservations are required and all participants must observe Covid19 guidelines.
The first discussion group took place on July 23, 2020 on St. John's lawn. It was well attended. The discussion focused on how to safely worship together and how to safely be together during the Covid19 pandemic. At the conclusion, there was a suggestion of conducting a small group Morning Prayer on the lawn. The next discussion group will be Sunday August 2nd on St. John's lawn. Please consider signing up for the next discussion group. For reservations please call the office.
The MDI Partnership met July 30th via Zoom. Those present were officers of the four churches and clergy. The primary topic of discussion was the September and October services. This included frequency of YouTube services, parish services inside/outside, purchasing additional recording equipment and clergy availability. The MDI Partnership was very supportive of continuing the YouTube shared services. The next scheduled zoom meeting is August 17, 2020.
May we be open to God's leading us in directions and ways that we could never imagine! Gen and Ted
HIGHLIGHTS FROM MDI PARTNERSHIP MEETING
* The You Tube services have been well received and offer numerous options for participation, viewing and creativity. The consensus is to continue through the Fall. Jayne Ashworth and Jim Vallette will continue their gift of preparing these services. Each congregation will arrange for participants on an alternating basis. The Revs. Steve Muncie, John Burton, Bill Hague, Jenny Reece, Tom Mousin are willing to continue to officiate.
* The topic of small group worship or discussion groups was addressed. It was suggested that the Diocesan Guidelines for Regathering be reviewed by all. Most people who were consulted about regathering expressed willingness to meet outside at safe distance but were hesitant about gathering inside a building. Some of the congregations are planning outside gatherings of up to 12 people following social distancing.
* Ted Fletcher is in conversation with Canon Michael Ambler about the posting of the clergy position opening on MDI. All profiles had been approved by the Vestries.
* A question was asked about how congregants, without virtual options, are being cared for pastorally. The wardens are aware of this concern and are addressing it in their congregations in various ways. St. Mary's is developing a podcast to enable participation of people who are not active on line.
* Tony Sousa will continue the Wednesday afternoon "Music & Chatter" presentation on You Tube. Tony is in conversation with Jeff Dobbs about best practices for use of on line services in the future.
* It was agreed by consensus that Church of Our Father, St. Saviour's, and St. Andrew & St. John would share the cost of the zoom connection.
* The next meeting will be on Monday, August 17, 2020, via zoom, at 5:00PM.
St. John's Calendar
The full St. John's Calendar can be viewed <HERE>.
At St. John's Keep in your prayers this week:
Susan Buell, Stephen Sampson, Geoff Schuller, Bill Krueger, Doris McCorison, Gail Leland, Jeremy Harkins, Michael Shook, Joyce and Jim Risser, Loretta Schmidt, Susannah Jones, Theresa Mitchell, David Douglass, George Harorack, Fred & Dollis Sprague, Sara Winchenbach, Dorothea Mead, Ray and Susan McDonald, Richard Ramsdell, Cassandra Crabtree, Beth Pfeiffer, Dorothy & Jim Clunan, Bill and Barbara Loveland.
Thanks to Stephen Sampson, Jayne Ashworth and Michael Shook, you may enjoy some piano music on the St. Andrew & St. John website. On the menu on the left-hand side of the home page there is now a link titled 'Music,' and clicking on that link brings you to recordings of piano pieces by Stephen Sampson.
Westside Food Pantry
We invite you to visit the new page for the Westside Food Pantry! On this facebook page you will find periodic announcements and information about the Westside Food Pantry. Please visit the page and like it. You can find it at: https://www.facebook.com/WestsideFoodPantry/
From the Diocese of Maine
As a Parish of the Diocese of Maine, we are part of a church family that extends from Kittery to Fort Kent, and connects us to the rest of the Episcopal Church and the worldwide Anglican Communion. We share ministry with our Bishop and with every worshiping community.
If you are not subscribed to the Diocesan twice monthly email newsletter, the DioLog, please click [here] to subscribe. If you are subscribed, don't forget to open it and read it every time! There is a lot going on in every corner of the Diocese, and you wouldn't want to miss anything.
Cathedral of St. Luke Contemplative Prayer, a prayer of silence, is also known as centering prayer, listening prayer, breath prayer, and prayer of the heart. Join us on Thursdays at 4:30 as we open our minds and hearts to God. Join our Zoom Meeting https://zoom.us/j/484179071 Meeting ID: 484 179 071 +1 253 215 8782 US +1 301 715 8592 US
MDI+ Episcopal Churches:
Confidential Prayer Chain: Unlike our published prayer lists, prayer requests that come into the Prayer Chain remain private to the prayer chain itself, which will pray devotedly for one week unless an updated request is made. If you'd like to know more about this or our Pastoral Care Team, please contact our office administrators.
St. Mary and St. Jude The Rev. Stephen Muncie is conducting a Zoom Bible Study on Wednesday mornings at 10:30 a.m. He is using the New Revised Standard Version (NRSV) translation of the Bible but you may use any translation you have on hand. For direct dial or URL information for this meeting, click here.
Church of Our Father Music and Chatter: On each Wednesday at 5:30 pm there will be a 30 minute program entitled "Music & Chatter". The idea is to keep us all involved and up to date. It can be seen on the MDI Episcopal You Tube channel. Click on the link below: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-fGpm4_aFoi0mNvMiXhSwg.
A variety of ways exist on Mount Desert Island for people to offer to provide help or to receive help during the current pandemic.
Connecting with the people who are coordinating this effort may happen:
6) Lincoln Millstein has put together a Quietside newsletter -- very interesting: theqsjournal.com
Stephen Byers Sampson, Music Director Michele Daley, Parish Administrator (244-3229) Sr. Warden, Gen MacKenzie (244-7313) Jr. Warden, Ted Fletcher (244-5225) The Church Office is open Monday and Thursday 8:30 - 2:30 (244-3229)